Well the trouble my company's been having hasn't improved at all. In fact it's gotten a lot worse. As a result they had to let me go on Wednesday. They've been letting people go slowly based on where the need is and who's been the the least amount of time. Since there are two designers and I've only been there since February my number was up.
Downside
The down side is that I'm really going to miss the people I work with. I've gotten pretty close to the girl I share an office with. After we found out on Wednesday we both sat and cried a bit like girls are allowed to do. We'll stay in touch I'm sure, but it is rare to find working situations where you love your job and your coworkers.
Optimistic Upside
Well, there are a couple of upsides actually.
1. They are letting me stay for the rest of the month so I can have an income while looking for a new job. They are also giving my as much time off as I need to go to interviews or whatever else I need.
2. I've just finished one free lance job with another in the works and we're house sitting next week, so we've got alternate sources on income coming in the next couple of weeks.
3. We've got a plan that will hopefully get me back working without missing a day of income.
I started the process of getting myself registered as a substitute teacher two years ago to kill time while I was looking for a design job. This means I've got my fingerprint card which is the most time consuming part of the whole process. Today I ordered my official transcripts from ASU and they'll be ready on Monday. If I drop all the paperwork off at the Department of Education, I should be a certified substitute teacher by the end of the day. I can use the rest of the week registering myself with the different school districts in the valley. Since there is always a shortage of teachers, sub jobs come by pretty easy. My dad has been a substitute teacher for the past five years and hardly misses a day during the school year.
The great part of the master plan is that I'll only have a six hour work day which will leave me extra time to learn more web design and flash. This will make me a much more competitive designer. I'm excited because I've really wanted to learn flash and this is the perfect opportunity for me to do so. The dance company I do freelance work for would like me to redo the header on the top of the page. I'm going to see if I can work out a deal with her to redesign her website at a discounted rate. This will allow me to gain experience and have a decent portfolio piece.
I'm really grateful I had this job-no matter how short of a time it was. I really think it was where I needed to be at the time. I feel really good about the direction things are going. Today my coworker and I were talking about life and how if your doing the best you can, you'll always be taken care of. She's not a member of the church, but we've been able to have really great gospel discussions about life and love and all sorts of stuff. I'm really going to miss that.
So not to worry.
We've got lots of faith that everything is going to be OK and we'll still be able to make ends meet.
On a different note, I'm really excited about a website I've become a member of called the grocery game. The site couples up the deals the different grocery stores are having with the coupons that come in the Sunday paper. With the combination of in store specials and Sunday coupons allows you to get a select number of items free and a whole bunch of stuff 50-90% off. The idea is to stock up on items when they are really cheap so you don't have to pay more for them later. Last week James and got a free loaf of bread. I've just started, so I don't have my three months of coupons built up get, but I'm super excited about it. If anyone is interest, the website is www.thegrocerygame.com.
I'm pretty excited to have the weekend in front of us. James has to work for a few hours tomorrow which really stinks, but we'll still have most of the day. I'm anxious to get some cleaning done. It's not too bad because my wonderful husband cleaned the kitchen, did the dishes and some laundry on Wednesday when I got laid off. Man I love that guy! We could still use to do some ward work and clean the rest of the house though.
I never thought I would be so excited to be clipping coupons and pull weeds in all my life.
Well, you cats have a great weekend and I'll talk to you later.
Megan
2 comments:
Hey Megan!
I'm so sorry your job went away. That's a bummer! But I'm so glad you are looking at the bright side and you have faith that everything will work out! We love you guys! ~Elynn
Sorry about your job Megs, that stinks! But that's pretty cool you are signing up to be a sub, it's a good thing you live in AZ--I've wanted to do that in NY & SC but you have to have a teaching degree to even be a sub. Hopefully this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise and you'll find an even better suited job for you! My sister Mindy just lost her job, so she's coming to visit this week--sure wish you had a ton of FFM too and could come visit!!!
Post a Comment