I know a lot of you are anxious to find out how the interviews went. Well Wed was a fun day with just enough time time between interviews to go home, eat what ever meal was designated to that time of the day, and head out to the next interview.
The first interview was for a company called FreeLife International. Everyone there seamed really nice and they liked me enough to call me back for a second interview next Friday. I generally speaking like the job except for the fact that it's a multilevel marketing company. I know enough people that have had a negative experience in these types of companies (including myself) that it's left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. In the position that I would have with the company I wouldn't even really be able to tell that it's a direct sales company. I would be doing the same work as in any other job. It just depends if I can remove myself emotionally enough from the type of company it is to enjoy my job. In this case, if I needed to, I think I could.
The next interview with Ultra Entertainment had a much better cause than the first. Instead of promises of riches from selling Goji juice, Ultra Entertainment is a promotional company for emerging musicians around the country. I would be designing websites, press packages, posters and CD covers for independent musicians and small record companies. Everyone was super nice and the work there would be highly creative. Plus the company is in east Mesa so I would always be driving in the opposite direction as traffic. It's also about a mile away from where my sister Shannon lives, so I can go to her house during lunch. This is my favorite job possibility. My concerns with the job are that I know they are interviewing a lot of graphic designers so there's a greater chance that I won't be chosen and the pay won't be as high since they are dealing with clients that don't have a whole lot of money to throw around.
The next interview I has was for a position with a company in downtown Phoenix. This job is promising because I have a lot of experience in the type of work I would be doing. They really like the fact that in my last job I was responsible for proof reading the designs that went through our department to catch any possible mistakes. I also have experience in Quark which is a design program that is becoming fairly obsolete since the introduction of the Adobe Suite. My concerns with this company is that they are interviewing my for a position that already has a designer. Apparently they are unhappy with the designer because of some errors in proofreading that have gone through and some bad working habits that have developed. I know from personal experience that these types of behaviors are a system of low job satisfaction. I have had a position before that didn't give me enough time to properly check for errors and was stressful the the point where my work started to suffer. They seam to be having a consistent problem with this type of behavior and I'm wondering if it says more about the position than the people that have filled it. Plus this job is downtown Phoenix so I would be faced with 1-2 hours of total commuting everyday. This is probably my least favorite option, but It isn't bad enough that I would decline a job offer if I was given one.
Although the job interviews I had on Wednesday went well, none of them seamed like an absolutely perfect fit. The interview that I had on Thursday was one that both James and I had high hopes for. The pay was good, I met every qualification they were looking for and it wouldn't be that long of a commute. But even with everything that this interview had going for it, the interview was scheduled for 2:00 and I was back in my car by 2:02. The first thing the man interviewing me let me know was that the company was a distributor of adult items for relationship enhancement. He let me know that for the adult industry they were actually quite mild but for a hard core Christian of a Mormon it might not be a great fit. I let him know that I was indeed Mormon and we graciously parted ways without even cracking open my portfolio. So, I guess I found the limit of what I'm willing to put up with in a job. I'll take an MLM, lower pay or stress over working in the adult industry any day of the week.
Well thank you all for your love and support. I means a lot to us that we have so many people praying for our success.
Love you all,
Megan
3 comments:
ha ha haaaaa!!! that's hilarious. oh my. i just read your first post about job descriptions. i'm sure you would've gotten it if, well, they weren't, well, ya know. ANYway, congrats on your second interview!
That is crazy...Hope you hear back soon from the other ones.
Dang! Well, it's nice that they were at least straight-forward with you.:) I sure hope something works out for you soon. we'll pray for you!
James, you are not alone feeling festive this early. I am already making Christmas presents. :) It's just such an awesome feeling that once I get bit by the bug I can't let it go. And speaking of your Christmas mix, that one you gave us that Thanksgiving we had a Kimberly's house is still one of our favorite Christmas albums we have! And we even have Snoopy, and the Muppets with John Denver. :) The boys love your mix. They beg to listen to it in the car all year. I have a few favorites on there too. :)
Post a Comment